Wednesday, January 23, 2013

If God is speaking we should listen...

And since God gave these Gentiles the same gift he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to stand in God’s way?” (Acts 11:17 NLT)

This verse is taken from the book of Acts when Peter had returned from ministering to some Gentiles in their home. He was questioned as to whether it was right for him to go into a Gentiles home. God had earlier shown him that Peter shouldn't consider unclean what God had made clean. It's context concerns what food Peter could eat, and whether it was okay with God for him to enter a Gentiles home.

What an important truth this verse from Acts finishes with; does it apply to other situations?

Take a look at the verse again:

And since God gave these Gentiles the same gift he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to stand in God’s way?” (Acts 11:17 NLT)

I believe God has given me a gift to preach/teach and make disciples. Many have been given such gifting. However, some are questioned as to whether its right for them to use these gifts!

I'm talking about women; and I know that many will disagree with me on this, but I have to say:

If God is speaking to me through a person; teaching me, discipling me and I know it's coming to me from God - I don't care whether the vessel He uses is male or female! I want to hear from God!

I know their is much more to be said on this and many other scriptures that can be used to back up both sides of the debate. But come on, isn't the bottom line about whether God is the author - is He the one speaking?

Peter said, "who was I to stand in God’s way?"

I think we should check ourselves in case we are the ones standing in God's way!

No comments:

Post a Comment